Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday, August 18, 2008

Today our hearts are in two states in two hospitals. Dad remains at Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie, Indiana, and my sister Wendy is in a small hospital in South Georgia. She had surgery this morning to begin her breast reconstruction after her double mastectomy nearly two years ago. Mom and I are needed here and we're needed there and it's not possible to be in two places at once. Our hearts are heavy today.

One might think our family actually liked hospitals. Carrie was in two years ago, Wendy has been in and out of hospitals for two years, Mom was in the hospital in June for a week, Christy had to go to the ED a week ago for a severe case of tonsillitis, now Dad's in the hospital, and Wendy is back again. As for me, I have no plans of becoming a patient myself thank-you-very-much!

Wendy's surgery went well. Mark and Wendy's friend Cindy are taking care of her. She should get to come home tomorrow to rest and recover.

Dad is troubled by his inability to move his right arm and hand and frequently stretches his fingers and tries to work his hand. On Liz Howard's advice Mom took Dad's hand and began to move his right arm a bit. He lightly squeezed her hand and moved his thumb. He looked at her and said, "I'm moving my right hand." And he was!

Dad has lost 10 pounds on his "beige diet" since he entered the hospital last Thursday. Mom asked if he could be switched to a regular diet and after some additional assessment, he was cleared to eat "normal" food.

Dad had a busy day chock-full of accomplishments. The therapists dressed him in his own clothes for therapy this morning. He had breakfast and went to speech therapy. During his session, he was able to count to 20, say the days of the week, and identify common objects. Kristi, his therapist, asked him if he knew where he was and why he was here. He said, "Ball Memorial Hospital. I had a stroke." Kristi wrote my name on a piece of paper and Dad was able to read and say it. Today was the first time I'd heard him say my name since last Thursday. I wasn't sure if I ever would again.

Mom and I accompanied him to PT and his therapist, Allen, explained the effects of a stroke, discussed goals for Dad, and worked both of his legs. One of Dad's goals is to walk 50 to 75' with the aid of a cane in one week.

Mom wasn't feeling well and acquired a bit of a stomach bug today. We had to leave his OT session and I drove her home. I extend my thanks to Dottie Kratz's "shuttle service" for getting me back to work for the remainder of the day.

I went back to the hospital after work to sit with Dad while he had dinner. He now takes his meals in the therapy dining room. He sits in a chair at a table instead of eating on a bed tray in bed. He fed himself his dinner and drank a large glass of sweet tea - one of his favorites. We called Mom and he talked to her on the phone.

He's now able to answer yes or no questions with a good deal of accuracy and now he can even say, "no." I would estimate he said more than 200 different words today. He conversed in small - yet complete - sentences. Over dinner, we talked about cars and he told me he drove a Grand Am. His speech is very clear and not sluggish or slow. Just to look at him, you'd never know just how sick he was last Thursday.

As I was leaving tonight, his nurses were preparing to give him a shower. His long and strenuous day wore him out physically and mentally. I could tell he was very tired. He will rest and greet Tuesday ready to begin anew.

My dad is - and has always been - my hero. He is a gentle giant who loves his family, his friends, and his job. He is kind man who would do anything for anyone and expect nothing in return. Those who know my father will tell you he is determined and never quits. He is proud of his new accomplishments, yet frustrated by the miles he knows he still must travel. He will succeed because he wants to succeed. He will redefine determination - and he will raise the bar.

We extend our deepest thanks to G and G Oil and Christy and Eric for the beautiful floral arrangements. Dad was truly touched and they brighten his new room. Friends are always a treasure. Thank you one and all for being there for us. Please continue to keep Dad in your thoughts and prayers. And tonight, say a special prayer for Wendy. As a breast cancer survivor, she has travelled a very long and winding road herself.

To Dad in Indiana - to Wendy in Georgia, we love you with all our hearts. Our journey continues...

No comments: