This is the first day since August 14, I've not seen my dad. Work has been utterly crazy this week. We launched a new Web application and I've been troubleshooting and fielding phone calls all week. I worked more than nine hours both yesterday and today. I don't mind busy days - they fly by, but my brain is totally fried. Mom's friend Bev took her out to dinner this evening. She's earned the reward - and the break.
Tonight Dad and Bill are going out to dinner with the hospital staff as part of their rehabilitative therapy.
Mom met with Dr. Wulff today who said Dad has made a "remarkable recovery." He said tests showed Dad's carotid arteries are fine and he can enjoy a regular diet with no restrictions, which is good news. Dad is a "meat and potatoes" guy who doesn't eat fish, chicken, or "Prince Edward" vegetables unless he's starving. He also said Dad is physically very strong, which aided in his quick recovery. He said Dad still has some short-term memory loss and some issues with his speech and recommended he also continue speech therapy (in addition to physical therapy) as an outpatient. Since I am a Ball State employee, Dad can receive speech therapy in the BSU Speech Pathology Clinic at no charge. (Thank you, Ball State University. From tuition reduction for Carrie, to helping my father, Ball State is, and has been, a true blessing in my life.)
Dad continues to gain some use of his right arm, but not his hand. Dr. Wulff said movement in the hand is usually the last thing to come back after a stroke - if it does. He said we may see improvement in time.
In physical therapy today, Allen took Dad outside and had him walk up and down the sidewalks with his cane. They also practiced getting in and out of the car. Dad did very well and had no difficulties.
Dad now has a real "corker" of a roommate. He's very loud and very negative.
Mom and I are very anxious to get Dad back home. We both know her life will change in ways she can't begin to comprehend. I will help her to the best of my ability, but she will bear a heavy burden. Please keep she and and my father in your thoughts and prayers as Dad makes the transition home.
An old Japanese proverb says, "When you have completed 95 percent of your journey, you are only halfway there." Dad has, indeed, made a remarkable recovery, but he has miles to go. Our journey continues...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment