Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Tropical Storm Fay is dumping buckets of rain on southeast Georgia where my sister and her family live. I just spoke with her and she said they're experiencing high winds, but she still has electricity. Many in her area don't. School is cancelled again tomorrow and the main bridges in nearby Jacksonville, FL, remain closed due to high winds and waves. Wendy is still experiencing discomfort after her surgery, but is feeling better.

Wendy is a breast cancer survivor - not a cancer victim. Dad is a stroke survivor - not a stroke victim. We continue to see amazing progress in Dad each day. My mother and I continue to be amazed by the mind and body's ability to heal itself.

Today Dad walked up a flight of stairs in the hospital corridor with his therapist Allen (whom Mom and I think is an angel on Earth) by his side. He did several laps around the therapy gym and even gave my mother a a hug - standing up. She told him they will dance in the kitchen at home on their anniversary, which is in October.

At lunch I took Dad Pizza King pizza, and if you live in East Central Indiana, you know what a treat that is! He ate that as well as his hospital lunch.

He's still struggling with his speech and with finding the right word for certain things. He told me today he needed to go to the laundromat when he meant the bathroom, but we figured it out. At least he knew he needed to go somewhere!

In OT he worked on using the telephone and relearning his telephone number, which he recited for me a couple of times at dinner.

When I got to the hospital this evening, Dad's boss was visiting and the two were discussing work-related subjects. Dad loves his job and truly enjoyed his visit with Scott. Dad is determined to go back to work.

For a brief time today, Dad had a roommate named Orville who was 89. (We wondered if his last name was Wright and if he had a brother named Wilber.) Orville was very nice, but had a big family who liked to spread out and use ALL the chairs. They also liked to talk. Loudly. Orville was moved to a private room later in the day so Dad, once again, has a room to himself.

After dinner I took Dad outside for a stroll around the hospital grounds. On our way, we ran into Erin, a paraplegic and her therapy dog Buddy. Dad and I visited with Erin and got acquainted with Buddy who was more interested in getting a treat than being social. Erin is an amazing woman who has suffered adversity in her own life, but has a strong desire to make the lives of others better. We could all learn great lessons from her.

Mom and I each stopped and thanked Jim, the hospital shuttle driver who helped Dad get from his car in the hospital parking lot to the ED last Thursday. I truly believe Jim saved Dad's life and I thanked him for doing so. If Jim hadn't happened along, I can only imagine how different the outcome might have been. Jim is an angel on Earth, too.

Tonight Dad was very tired and fatigued. He's worked so hard this week. His spirit seems unbreakable. He will rest well and give his rehabilitation everything he has again tomorrow.

Thanks to Jim Maul, Scott Arrington, Jaye Gaddis, all of Mom and Dad's classmates, email pals, and friends. Your cards, flowers, emails, visits, and phone calls mean so very much. I extend loads of thanks to my valued BSU colleagues for their support, understanding, and patience. Every one's ever-present support makes our mountain seem more like a molehill. There are so many people to thank and we can't adequately express how much your thoughts, prayers, support, and kindness mean.

One week has passed since Dad had his stroke last Thursday. Success is a journey - not a destination and our journey continues...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Waiting to hear how your dad is doing, in the mean time, tell your sister to "hunker down" we still have a few more days with Fay. Love to your father and the rest of your family from windy, rainy Florida.
The other Beth.